We invest in digital security.
eCAPITAL, together with cybersecurity experts, experienced founders and a global network, is providing out of this in Europe unique eco-system € 50 million for cybersecurity growth companies.
Headlines about attacks on nuclear power plants, millions of hacked routers, data leaks at international companies and crypto-trojans are in the news almost daily. In addition to protection from potential threats, cybersecurity enables a variety of new business models. Examples for fields of application are numerous, e.g. Smart Cities, FinTech, online payment systems, blockchain-based business models, security systems in IoT, attack detection and defense for production lines in industrial IoT or areas such as Connected Health. In short, without cybersecurity, many innovative business models would be impossible, and on the other hand, cybersecurity creates many opportunities for innovative entrepreneurs.
As a result, cybersecurity is emerging as a new industry. An this is taking place not just for the last few years, but it has been a trend since the existence of the internet and with the rise of the internet and digitization, the relevance of cybersecurity continuously grew. Today cybersecurity is an industry with a $ 114 billion market size in 2018 and a steady annual growth of around 10%, leading to an expected market of around $ 250 billion by 2023.
The growing relevance of cybersecurity is also evident in corporate budgets. The share of the cybersecurity budget within total IT budgets of companies today lies today at about 10% already. Further, Investments in companies reflect the increasing importance of cybersecurity in the future. These are growing rapidly worldwide with an average of 28% p.a. In 2018, approximately $ 5.9 billion were invested globally in cybersecurity companies.
eCAPITAL encounters these new challenges with Germany's first dedicated cybersecurity fund. Together with cybersecurity experts, experienced founders and a worldwide network in a unique eco-system in Europe, eCAPITAL supports start-ups who will address and secure the diverse future trends in areas such as IoT and Industry 4.0 with security solutions and business models.
The cybersecurity fund is headed by the experienced cybersecurity specialists Willi Mannheims, Dr. Hans-Christoph Quelle and Dirk Seewald. When evaluating opportunities, executing investments and supporting the portfolio companies, eCAPITAL utilizes the knowledge of leading cybersecurity researchers in addition to the expertise in the core team:
- Prof. Dr. Christof Paar: Professorship for embedded security at Ruhr University Bochum and research professorship at the University of Massachusetts Amherst; founding director of the Max Planck Institute for Cybersecurity and Privacy
- Prof. Dr. Norbert Pohlmann: Professor for computer science and institute director of the renowned if(is) (Institute for Internet Security)
- Prof. Dr. Thorsten Holz: Professorship for systems security at Ruhr University Bochum and director of the Horst Görtz Institute (HGI – leading institute for IT security)
The following overview shows the established ecosystem:
- Identity & Access Management
- SecOPS & Thread Intel
- Network & Infrastructure Security
- Application & Data Security
- Endpoint Security
- Cloud, Web & Mobile Security
- Industrial & IoT Security
- Initial investment eCAPITAL: € 0.5 million - € 3 million
- Total investment through follow-on financings: up to € 10 million
- Series A
- Series B